Here is the latest FAE News eBulletin.
3) Sing Up Help kids find their voice
Sing Up is a new national Music Manifesto campaign produced by Youth Music to get primary school children singing. It provides songs, inspiration and lots of information about how singing can help children learn. Log on to www.singup.org
Stillgigging.com describes itself as a new, niche online music community for fans of bands from the 50s to the 90s with no genre excluded. The site was launched in April and now has over 5,000 visitors. Bands, artists, venues and fans can all sign up for no cost.
7) A New Package for Music Education
National Campaign for the Arts (NCA) has offered the following information:
Ed Balls MP, the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, has launched a national campaign for music in primary schools involving a £332 million investment in choirs, orchestras, new instruments, performance and free music lessons.
This initiative furthers the aspirations of the Music Manifesto, which was developed by the government departments for culture and education in collaboration with music leaders, arts organisations, broadcasters and music industry groups to celebrate and improve music education, following an NCA delegation to Education ministers in May 2003.
The new package pledges:
- £10 million year this and the next three years for musical instruments
- £10million announced in January 2007 and £10 million in each of the next three years for the National Singing Programme
- £82 million in each of the next three years for Local Authority provision for music education. This is part of the School Funding Settlement 2008-11 (12 November 2007)
- £2 million in each of the next three years training for teachers, and pilots based on the Venezuelan El Sistema model
Contact NCA for more information www.artscampaign.org.uk